Coral Springs and neighboring communities in south Florida have a rich variety of allergens that can trigger flare-ups all year. If you are one of the 50 million Americans who suffers from allergies, you need relief at home. Follow these tips to allergy-proof your living areas and minimize symptoms.
Cleaning Tips for Allergy Sufferers
- Wear a dust mask while you’re cleaning.
- Vacuum once or twice weekly using a machine with HEPA filters.
- Use a damp cloth or mop to trap allergens.
- Cut down on clutter to reduce dust.
- Have a family member help you clean so that you can limit your exposure to allergens.
- After you clean, leave the house for a few hours while the dust settles.
- Use covers to protect mattresses and pillows from dust mites.
- Wash bedding in hot water every week.
- Clean curtains regularly. If you have blinds, switch to roller shades.
- Use fragrance-free cleaning products because some perfumes trigger allergy symptoms.
- Remove your shoes at the door so that the pollen doesn’t come in with you.
- Sweep porches and patios to reduce the amount of pollen that might come indoors.
- Scrub surfaces in the bathroom. Wash the shower curtain regularly.
- Promptly remove food waste from the kitchen. Keep surfaces clean. Check for water leaks.
- Instead of opening the windows, use the air conditioner to prevent pollen from entering.
Air Purifiers and Allergy Solutions
- Install a whole-house air purifier. These units can remove the smallest germs and allergens in your home.
- Finally, consider a duct cleaning to remove irritants that are hidden in the ducts or that were left by the previous owner.